Royal Hospital Kilmainham
Kilmainham Tale Vol. 9
The Royal Hospital in Kilmainham, Dublin, is one of the finest examples of 17th century architecture in Ireland. Close to Dublin’s city centre, surrounded by former military barracks and magazines and auxiliary military buildings, this was the first major public building to be constructed in Dublin and the British army’s first landmark building in the capital. It has been part of Irish and British history for over three centuries.
A retirement home for former and invalided soldiers who had served in the British army, the Royal Hospital also housed the Commander-in-Chief of British crown forces in Ireland.
As well as its original function, the building has played host to a number of events that have encompassed Royalty, Presidents and Heads of State from around the world since its completion in 1686 up to the present day.
Arbour Hill Cemetery
Kilmainham Tale 5.
The area of Arbour Hill (located behind National Museum Collins Barracks) first began to be developed as a military prison and infirmary in 1797.
In 1845, new grounds for development were enclosed and separated into three areas that consisted of a prison yard, two schools and the cemetery. The work on a new detention barracks and an adjoining church commenced in 1845 and was completed by 1848. The garrison cemetery is where many British personnel and their families were buried in the 19th and early 20th century. The former prison yard holds the remains of the leaders of the 1916 Rising. This book details the history of the cemetery and also holds a comprehensive list of graves and their inscriptions.
Bully’s Acre Dublin’s oldest cemetery
Kilmainham Tale 4.
Bully’s Acre, Dublin City’s oldest graveyard is located within the grounds of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, the former retirement home for soldiers who had served in the British army.
The cemetery area consists of an Officer’s burial ground as well as a plot for soldiers who held the rank up to Warrant Officer. These are separated by a larger public area commonly known as Bully’s Acre.
The area comprises of 3.7 acres and lies hidden behind locked gates and high walls in the grounds of the former pensioners home that now houses the Irish Museum of Modern Art.
To purchase any of these monographs please contact: